Sunday, March 02, 2003

This is an excerpt from my journal entry for dance (let me stress the fact of EXCERPT, meaning only a little portion of what i really wrote.)
Cultural and Ethnic Connection: it’s a Filipino thing
Again dealing with the fact that my parents are very traditional and Filipino. So yes they grew up in the old ways and taught me to be like them, and sometimes you just need to vent. What I noticed is that it really helps when you can relate your years growing up, with people who have experienced the same things. Being able to relate to someone or having someone relate to you is essential. Filipinos, (basically any Asian) are not allowed to have problems. We are not supposed to be crazy or need help; we are not allowed to ask for help. Our parents have raised us with honor, and we are to respect that and be well-adjusted children. But keeping that inside is impossible. So what does a person do? Talking to someone who has been raised in the strict lifestyle which growing up Filipino entails helps to let your soul breathe. I know that I talk to Nicole, Krystle and Tiffany all the time about my family problems, because they understood, they know the pressures that our parents put us under. We talk about it, discuss it, and laugh. But this really only works with people who understand this, Asian people; I know many other cultures have the same way of growing up, but it just feels better when you relate to people from your own homeland, and your own culture, who grew up with the same traditions. I feel like only Filipino girls can feel the struggles that I go through. They understand the stress it puts on your life when you’re being raised in the Philippines during the 1960’s. Its like we live two lives, the lives are parents want us to live, and our lives, the lives which we get to influence and have outside influences on. Just trying to find the links to now and then emotionally strain you. I rarely hang out with my Filipino friends, and I think that hurts me a lot. I always have other things to do, but when I do hang out with them, boy does it come out. We laugh and talk about how many lumpias we had to make, or how early we had to wake up for Simbang Gabi, or even the how we know our parents are really mad because they switch dialects on us. Having friends of your own culture is so important to cultures that suppress individuality and change, like ours. I’m not putting down my culture, I love being Filipino, and you just have to take the ouches with the good. Look at Elizabeth and Amanda, they’re very good friends, and they have that link of their culture to being them together, I do so many different things that I don’t get to have that with the friends I usually hang out with. All children of traditional families need an outlet to vent their frustrations and laughs. You’re supposed to look like you family is okay, “it’s not always happy, but they must look that way.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home